Airplay allows you to share videos, music, photos, and much more from your Mac, iPhone, or iPad to Apple TV or different popular smart TVs. If you are streaming a video on your Mac and want to see it on your TV, you can use Airplay to broadcast your TV content. Airplay is developed by Apple and is free on all Apple devices. Instead of installing the app on Apple TV, you can use Airplay to stream the content from your Mac. If you are not assured how to use Airplay on Mac, then go through the below post.
How does AirPlay Work?
There are two other working methods: Airplay and Airplay Screen Mirroring.
Airplay is an option allowed while streaming a video or audio on your iPhone/iPad or Mac. For example, if you are live free streaming a video on Netflix, you will find the Airplay icon on the top corner. You can tap on the icon and choose your device to Airplay it on the big screen.
Airplay Screen Mirroring is an option that mirrors your entire screen to the TV. This option will be free in the control center of the iPhone/iPad and Mac. You can use this option to mirror your smartphone or Mac screen to your TV.
How to Use AirPlay on Mac?
Both the above options are available on your Mac: You can either.
- Stream Video from your Mac
- Screen Mirror your Mac
Stream Video from Mac using AirPlay
To stream a video from Mac to Apple TV or different smart TVs, you have to connect your Mac & TV to the same wifi network.
1. Launch the app or website from which you want to stream a video to your TV.
2. Choose the video and start streaming it on your Mac.
3. Move the cursor to the Video PlayBack Controls and click on the Airplay icon.
Note: You will find the Airplay icon only when both the tools are connected to the same wifi network.
4. Choose the device to which you want to Airplay. (If you have two or more TVs connected to the same wifi, you might get all the TVs listed. Select the one to which you want to stream the video).
5. The Video will stream on your TV. You can use your Mac as a remote to control the video streaming on your TV. You can change the video, adjust the volume, and play/pause using Mac.
This method is advantageous if you want to stream a video on a bigger screen and watch it with your family and friends.
Mirror your Mac Screen
You can additionally mirror your Mac Screen to your TV using Airplay as well.
1. Connect your Mac and TV to the same wifi network.
2. Click on the Control Center icon on your Mac.
3. You will find the Screen Mirroring option. Click on it.
4. The list of devices available will appear. Select the device to mirror your Mac screen.
You will find an option called “display preference”. Click on that and select the size of the screen that you want to mirror to your TV. By default, your entire screen will appear on the TV.
Airplay Not working on Mac?
Most of the time, Airplay works perfectly on Apple devices as it is developed for these tools. If your Airplay is not working on Mac, then try these solutions:
- Check whether both the devices are connected to the same wifi network.
- Restart your Modem and try connecting it again.
- Update your Mac and Apple TV to the new version.
- Restart your Mac and Apple TV, and then connect it again.
- Try connecting the devices to the other wifi network and then Airplay it.
- Airplay is the best device to connect your TV and Mac. Apart from TV, there are plenty of audio systems that help Airplay. You can play the video on your Mac and listen to the audio on your home theatre with Airplay. If you can still not utilise Airplay or have any queries, share with us in the comment section below.