Sometimes when you attempt to carry out an activity in Adobe Photoshop, you could obtain a mistake message that reads, “Might not complete your demand due to the fact that the scratch disk is full.”
To stop the Photoshop scratch disk is full error, you need to alter just how Photoshop utilizes your computer system’s memory.
Info in this post relates to Adobe Photoshop CC for Windows and also macOS.
How to Fix the Photoshop Scratch Disk Full Error
The Photoshop scratch disk refers to your hard drive. Photoshop utilizes the hard disk drive as short-term swap space, or virtual memory, when your system does not have sufficient RAM to perform a procedure. If you only have one hard disk or dividing in your computer, the scratch disk is the drive where the os is mounted (for example, the C: drive on a Windows system).
When that drive lacks space, it protects against Photoshop from working effectively. For example, if Photoshop collisions in the middle of an editing and enhancing session, this incorrect closure might leave large short-term files on the scrape disk. As a result, Photoshop might not have the ability to reopen, so you must execute some troubleshooting on the hard drive.
For much more on exactly how Photoshop CC makes use of RAM and scrape disk space, search for designating scratch disks in the online help for your version of Photoshop.
Just how to Fix the Photoshop Scratch Disk Full Error
Comply with these action in the order offered to repair the scrape disk is full error in Photoshop:
1. Maximize disk area. Clear some room on the Mac or Windows drive that is specified as the scrape disk in Photoshop Preferences. For ideal results, utilize a cost-free disk space analyzer tool like Disk Cleanup.
2. Erase Photoshop short-term documents. You can securely delete short-lived files related to Photoshop to liberate scratch disk room. Photoshop temperature files are normally named ~ PST ####. tmp on Windows and Temperature #### on Mac (where #### is a collection of numbers).
3. Defragment the hard drive. It’s feasible to get the Scratch Disk Full Error mistake when the scratch hard disk drive has vacuum. This is because Photoshop needs adjoining, fragmented vacuum on the scrape hard disk. If you obtain the mistake message when the scrape disk drive reveals a good quantity of free space, run a disk defragmentation energy.
4. Clear the Photoshop cache. If you can open up Photoshop, remove temporary documents from within the program by going to Edit > Purge > All (on Windows) or Photoshop CC > Purge > All (on Mac).
Purging the cache stops you from downfall recent changes you made to photos.
5. Clear Crop tool values. If you get the error when chopping a photo in Photoshop, maybe because the worths in the choices bar for the Plant tool are in the incorrect units. As an example, entering dimensions of 1200×1600 when the units are readied to inches instead of pixel Scratch Disk Full Error produces a large documents that might activate the scratch disk is complete message. To avoid this problem, select Clear in the choices bar after you select the Plant tool.
6. Modification the Photoshop efficiency settings. Go to Modify > Preferences > Performance (on Windows) or Photoshop CC > Preferences > Performance (on Mac), after that change the sliders under Memory Usage to increase the amount of RAM that Photoshop is enabled to use.
Establishing the memory usage above 80% can create the computer to run sluggish.
7. Adjustment or include additional scratch disks. When possible, develop a new hard drive dividers for the Photoshop scrape disk. Although Photoshop operates with a solitary scrape disk on the system dividing, you can boost performance by setting the scrape disk to be the fastest drive in your system.
To transform the scrape disk place and establish added scrape disks from Photoshop Preferences:
oOn Windows, choose Edit > Preferences > Scratch Disks, or press Ctrl+Alt.
oOn macOS, select Photoshop CC > Preferences > Scratch Disks, or press Command+Option.